Tasty sandwich filling is lower in calories than the traditional egg and dairy version.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 4 sandwiches
- One 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo or Garlic Tofu-naise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
Break the pressed tofu cake in two with your hands and crumble each half into a food processor.
Add the vegan mayo, mustard, capers, garlic, turmeric, parsley, tarragon, celery, bell pepper, chives, salt, and pepper. Pulse the mixture 10 to 15 times until well combined. You may need to scrape the sides down a few times with a rubber spatula.
Lay 4 slices of bread on a clean work surface.
Thinly slice the cucumber and pat each slice with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to remove some of the moisture. Lay the slices of cucumber on the bread slices in a single layer.
Spoon 1/4 of the tofu mixture on top of the cucumber slices on each piece of bread. Top with the remaining bread slices, season with salt and pepper, and cut in half to serve.
- Calories 393 (208 from Fat);
- Fat 23g (Saturated 1g);
- Cholesterol 0mg;
- Sodium 1,104mg;
- Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 5g);
- Protein 14g.